Shambhala Publications seeks an energetic, experienced acquisitions editor with strong knowledge, interest, and hands-on experience in the areas of Buddhism, mindful living, yoga, health and well-being, psychology.
- Acquisition and development of original manuscripts (including all editorial aspects of book development – editing; writing jacket and catalog/website copy and fact sheets for sales reps and other marketing copy as required; coordination and collaboration with production, design, marketing and publicity, etc.).
- Identification of trends in subject areas to channel into new projects.
- Cultivation of relationships with agents.
- Excellent communication, project management, and networking skills.
- Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously.
- Act as primary point of contact for authors throughout the book process.
- Help the Editorial Committee identify, evaluate, and cultivate new authors and projects.
- Widespread knowledge of book publishing processes and functions (editorial, production, design, copyediting, marketing, sales).
- Excellent intra- and inter-departmental communication and collaboration skills.
- Excellent computer skills especially Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook.
- Excellent editorial, rewriting, organizational, and interpersonal skills.
- Self-motivated, detail-oriented, creative, flexible, and able to prioritize varied workload.
- Current contacts including authors, illustrators, agents, etc. in the book publishing industry.
- High level of skill in organization, analytics, and verbal and written communication.
- Minimum of three years experience in publishing.
Send cover letter and cv to firstname.lastname@example.org
Position is in our Boulder, CO office.
- Editorial Internship (ACCEPTING RÉSUMÉS FOR FUTURE CONSIDERATION)
Shambhala Publications has no editorial internship openings at this time. However, résumés will be accepted to keep on file for future openings.
Interested individuals who would like to be considered for possible internship openings in the future are encouraged to submit a résumé and cover letter to the e-mail address below.
Must have excellent written and verbal communication skills and a sound knowledge of English grammar and usage. Should be organized and detail-oriented, able to multitask, and possess an interest in our subject matter. Related experience helpful.
Part time, typically 3–6 months, negotiable hours (roughly 15–20 hours/week)
Send resume and cover letter to:
editorialdept (at) shambhala.com
No phone calls, please.